Friday, October 21, 2016

Grandpa Emory

This is photo of my grandfather on my mom’s side. He died almost a year ago and his name and face has been slowly popping up in my house as of recently. Most family or intimate photos are unseen by anyone who is not in the family mostly because they are personal or would not have much value in others’ lives. I find that family photos are the most that hold story. This photo is interesting to me because it is almost the beginning of my family. I look at it and see my mom, my aunt, my uncles, grandmother and cousins. I honestly do not even think that this picture would mean much to me if he had not had passed. Which was odd to me until I thought of how many memories this picture holds even though it is just one person. I can start to remember the mannerism he used or the way he made sweet potato pie, all from one graduation picture. It is odd to me how a photo can hold so much memories and people can just disregard the photo because it has no background to us. It fascinates me that you cannot distinguish this photo from photos today. This style of graduation photo has not changed much with time. Although the cameras and quality of the photos have increased the way graduates face and the what is worn has not changed much and he looks genuinely happy. There are not many things from a graduation photo that can tell what period it’s from other than the quality of it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment